Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

"Vaggelis Segredakis" <segred@ics.forth.gr> Wed, 16 February 2011 14:38 UTC

From: Vaggelis Segredakis <segred@ics.forth.gr>
To: 'John Levine' <johnl@iecc.com>, dnsext@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:37:13 +0200
Subject: Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

John,

Please do not misunderstand the issue here. We did not ask for a wildcard in
DNS, we did not ask for millions of domain names to become one bundle.

We did however ask for the user's choice of registered domain names, the
names he thinks represent better the word he chose for registration to act
as a bundle.

The number of these domain names varies from two (or four if a final sigma
is present) to some tens of domains, not millions and certainly not
billions. The names are specific, not names with star-substituted
characters; just handpicked domain names by the user that should point to
the same services since one user will type them this way while the next user
will type them in an alternative form.

We did not say anything about a pattern to match domain names that look the
same in a language. We asked for a DNS rr that will allow two, three, four,
or tens of chosen domain names to act as if they were interchangeable in all
the branches of the domain name tree, starting from the top. They could be
perfectly normal Latin domain names that point to the same services and the
administrator decides to administer them as one.

Kind Regards,

Vaggelis Segredakis