Re: [dnsext] WGLC ENDS0-bis

Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz> Tue, 10 May 2011 19:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:14:29 -0400
To: dnsext@ietf.org
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Cc: ed.lewis@neustar.biz
Subject: Re: [dnsext] WGLC ENDS0-bis

At 10:25 -0400 5/10/11, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2671bis-edns0-05

Count me disgruntled.  I have a few comments on this document.

We need EDNS0 to be cleaned up.  We need this document.  The document
is not a mess nor a total failure (hey, that's the good news) but
there are a few items that need to be addressed before it is ready to
go.

First items from the document:

Item 1

#3.  EDNS Support Requirement
#
#   EDNS support is practically mandatory in a modern world.  DNSSEC
#   requires EDNS support, and many other features are made possible only
#   by EDNS support to request or advertise them.  Many organizations are
#   requiring DNSSEC.  Without common interoperability, DNSSEC cannot be
#   as easily deployed.

Horse and cart placement.  Don't hinge EDNS0 on DNSSEC.  ENUM/DDDS
needs it too, as well as IPv6's AAAA record answers.  Other future
needs will likely come along.  I think that this section, if it is to
highlight that DNSSEC needs it, should reference the existing
documents that state why EDNS0 is needed.  BTW, I think that the
requirement to use EDNS0 is more clearly stated for ENUM than DNSSEC.

Item 2

# 6.8.  Middleware Boxes

This section is a problem.  Middleware boxes aren't well defined
(yes, there is the parenthetical list of examples), lacking
references to documents that provide definitions here.  Going beyond
that I don't know what this document is trying to impart.  Are these
requirements on non-DNS processes that are acting as stateful proxies
for DNS messages in dealing with EDNS0 records?

Item 3

# 7.  Transport Considerations
#
#...
#   Responders who do not implement these protocol extensions MUST
#   respond with FORMERR messages without any OPT record.

This requirement cannot appear here (as written).  No document can
set a requirement on existing and deployed software and expect
compliance.

Perhaps this can be substituted:

"A DNS message server electing not to support this definition of
EDNS0 MUST respond with a return code (RCODE) of FORMERR when
detecting an OPT RR in the additional section of a query message."
Essentially, an implementation can say they are compliant with the
document in saying "we don't play" EDNS0.  (But I don't think that is
what the authors intended.)

Item 4

RFC 2119 language

There are a few instances of lower case "must" in the document. I ran
across that looking for something else.  In general, make sure all
RFC 2119 language stands out.  (I realize that some "must"s appear
before 2119 is invoked - I'm not counting those.)

Item 5

#6.4.  Fallback
#...
#   If an implementation detects that some servers for the zone support
#   EDNS(0) while others would force the use of TCP to fetch all data,
#   preference SHOULD be given to those support EDNS(0).

I am no longer convinced that it is wise to state preferences like
this.  It is backfiring in IPv6 transition (preferring IPv6 over IPv4
for DNS traffic, for one).  I would urge this to become a
consideration - an implementer ought to weigh that TCP requires more
set up time.  In retrospect, I think this is just a bad idea to
include.  Let implementors deal with this without a specification
hanging over them.  (TCP is not proving to be *that* bad.  It works
good for other protocols.)

Item 6

Tone of voice/perspective

I find that when text gets personal, the feeling changes.  In this
document, the word "you" appears twice in one paragraph:

Item 7

#6.7.  Payload Size Selection
#
#   Due to transaction overhead, it is unwise to advertise an
#   architectural limit as a maximum UDP payload size.  Just because your
#   stack can reassemble 64KB datagrams, don't assume that you want to
#   spend more than about 4KB of state memory per ongoing transaction.

"Just because your $X can" do something makes it sound like a
challenge is being made.

In total, the section here is needed, but I think it comes across
poorly.  As someone eyeing this as something I would have to conform
to, seeing "SHOULD...such as" makes it hard to write the formal
requirement and test case.  In the old days we got away with "to
simplify implementations" (RFC 1034, remember), why can't we do that
here.  "To simplify implementations" start with 4K, then drop to
something small enough for Ethernet (1280) before dropping EDNS0
altogether.  I think this would go a long way to avoiding the "path
MTU" discussions that go around.

Missing material

Item 8

I think the point that EDNS0 is a hop-by-hop marshaller of
parameters, and not an end-to-end signalling mechanism is not clear
enough.  I don't think the architectural placement of EDNS0 is clear
described.  This should be in the introductory material.

Item 9

Section 6.3 needs more material.  It should say how a cache (server)
would make use of EDNS0, besides saying that OPT RR's are not cached
(or DNSSEC signed!).

This goes hand in hand with Item 8.  Perhaps "more material" is
stronger than it should be.  Considering a cache may or may not mean
the same thing as a caching server, the discussion would be different.

A caching server needs some instructions on how to deal with a client
of it using one set of EDNS0 parameters and a server to it with
different EDNS0 preferences.  What might a proposed EDNS0 option need
to specify about the behavior at a caching server?

Item 10

What is the implication of an EDNS0 buffer size of less than 512
bytes?  What if the size is smaller than what a header requires?
(E.g., bufsize=4 in dig-speak?)  Can the server respond with FORMERR
if that is bigger than the buffer advertised?  We ran across these
questions when trying to do some testing, and found the specification
to be missing on that.  Stating that sizes below 512 can be treated
as 512 would be sufficient, but some lower limit ought to be
mentioned.

In closing, thanks for...

Stating that implementations are expected to skip/ignore the options
they do not implement and that if the requestor needs confirmation an
option was used, the option has to define the "ack."  (Bottom of page
6.)  This is a needed "feature" which I think wasn't in the original
RFC.  (It it wasn't there, oops, and uh, then there's no thanks to
give. ;))

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Now, don't say I'm always complaining.
Wait, that's a complaint, isn't it?