Re: [dnsext] flip-flopping secure and unsecure DNAME/CNAME

Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net> Mon, 13 October 2008 16:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:23:25 -0400
To: Wouter Wijngaards <wouter@NLnetLabs.nl>
From: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] flip-flopping secure and unsecure DNAME/CNAME
Cc: Ben Laurie <ben@links.org>, Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

At 08:16 AM 10/13/2008, Wouter Wijngaards wrote:

>Hi Michael,
>
>I think it is much simpler than that. The application is interested in
>what is known with certainty.
>1. It is certain the data is valid (secure)
>2. It is certain that security checks failed (bogus)
>3. whatever (insecure).
>
>Thus, your numbers 1, 3, 5 are folded into insecure (or maybe more
>accurately, 'no security available').

This is why doing the bigger matrix and trying to do the decomposition into handling states is probably the right approach - your later email changes this based on further discussion but still doesn't quite get all the states covered.

>A mail application could deliver 1 and 3, but not 2(bogus).  Or it might
>examine the AD bit on replies and only deliver 1.
>
>When a DNAME or CNAME chain crosses a BOGUS entry, the DNAME or CNAME
>chain result is bogus. When a DNAME or CNAME chain has all items secure,
>the DNAME or CNAME chain result is secure.  All other cases are insecure
>(i.e. the chain has one insecure element and the other elements are
>insecure or secure).
>
>I do not think a 'must be secure' bit is needed.  Only when all items in
>the chain are secure is the result secure, and does the AD bit get set.

The AD bit gets set (or not) when you return data from a recursive nameserver, but that doesn't really describe how an application doing its own DNSSEC validation should handle this type of data.

It may be that your approach of if anything is bogus its all bogus, else if everything is secure its all secure, else its unsecure is correct.  BUT - this seems at odds with the general DNSSEC contract that says we don't transition to an unsecure state unless we do it securely.  If I'm the zone owner of the zone with the DNAME, and I'd doing a reference to another zone that - at the time I did the delegation - I knew to be secure, shouldn't I expect that DNSSEC should flag it if someone tries to resolve this and finds an unsecure zone?  Again if not, why not?  And why isn't this as much of a downgrade attack as all the other various schemes that have been described to me?

Mike

>Best regards,
>   Wouter
>
>Michael StJohns wrote:
>> At 01:36 AM 10/13/2008, Ben Laurie wrote:
>>> 1. RR exists and here it is.
>>> 2. RR does not exist.
>>> 3. Server not reachable (or otherwise broken).

>>> 1. RR exists and here it is.
>>> 2. RR does not exist.
>>> 3. RR exists but is broken in some way.