Re: [dnsext] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4343 (5112)

Jay Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> Sat, 23 September 2017 03:09 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 22:38:22 -0400
To: dnsext@ietf.org, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
CC: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
From: Jay Ashworth <jra@baylink.com>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4343 (5112)

Long time listener, first-time caller, but the problem I have with this is that it suggests that queries containing capital letters are dropped.

I recommend to people with overly complicated and long domain names that, as best practice, they spell them in camel case in advertising.

www.MyBadDomain.com

Partially, of course, this is to attempt to avoid the Pen Island/Who Represents problem.  But I do it knowing that the DNS system will case fold those queries and they will thus work properly.

If there are devices dropping those...  I gotta say I'm a little unhappy. Is there documentation of that?

Cheers,
-- jra