Re: [dnsext] Possible DNSSECbis clarifications

"Marc Lampo" <marc.lampo@eurid.eu> Mon, 28 March 2011 15:59 UTC

From: Marc Lampo <marc.lampo@eurid.eu>
To: 'Joe Abley' <jabley@hopcount.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:55:36 +0200
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org, 'Olafur Gudmundsson' <ogud@ogud.com>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Possible DNSSECbis clarifications

A "theorical" attack would be a "man-in-the-middle" change the trailing
SOA, thus causing the secondary server to throw away each zone transfer it
attempts (if it "believes" the second SOA is correct, in the absence of a
valid RRSIG for it - that trailing SOA).

If a secondary name server is prevented from downloaded update of the true
zone data, this is a security issue, I would say.

It may not be that easy to set up this kind of attack, but then again,
perhaps in some time somebody might show it can be done.
My feeling is that, with DNSSEC, both SOA's in a zone transfer should be
signed in a proper way (that they can  be validated) even if the SOA's
differ.

Which leaves us with another "hole" :
Suppose potential attacker does indeed change trailing SOA, and fails to
produce a validatable RRSIG, then what should the recipient do with the
zone it downloaded ?  Since it can no longer verify if the content of the
zone did not change, at the master, since the start of the zone transfer.

Marc