Re: [dnsext] New Version Notification for draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-00

Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us> Tue, 08 March 2011 21:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 13:02:55 -0800
From: Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
To: Alex Bligh <alex@alex.org.uk>
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] New Version Notification for draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-00

On 03/08/2011 01:24, Alex Bligh wrote:

> --On 7 March 2011 17:33:07 -0800 Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us> wrote:
>
>> I think you're missing the whole point. :) Users want to be able to use
>> the variant labels (including things like being on the RHS of NS and MX
>> records) so the idea is to deal with them on a basis that is as equal as
>> possible.
>
> (I've read the draft but am thinking about it before commenting, so don't
> take this as a comment on the draft).

Ok.

> I am not sure Nick is missing the point. We do not *know* that users want
> to use the variant labels on the RHS of NS and MX records (beyond the
> obvious truism that it would be nice to do everything). I am guessing that
> most users want to use the variant labels in URLs and email addresses, and
> that's it.

What I've heard from that community is that they want the most out of
the variants that they can get. Perhaps Vaggelis can say more about
that. However in the end I don't think we're going to get a definitive
answer that is going to satisfy "us" as technologists. Users don't
understand what they want to the level of technical detail that will
satisfy us, so I think we need to try and provide as much flexibility as
possible.

That said, I think that as DNSSEC becomes more widely deployed that
using the variants for these purposes is going to be less attractive
unless we can provide a solution. Obviously I have a strong feeling that
the solution I'm offering is the right one, but I don't claim to be
omniscient. :)

Doug

			-- OK Go