Re: [dnsext] CDN BOF Re: Uploaded: edns-client-subnet-00

Benjamin Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk> Sat, 26 March 2011 14:58 UTC

From: Benjamin Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:59:41 +0000
To: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] CDN BOF Re: Uploaded: edns-client-subnet-00

Olafur, Colleagues,

On 26 Mar 2011, at 09:17, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

> <chair-hat=on>
>
> On 17/02/2011 3:26 PM, Wilmer van der Gaast wrote:
>> On 9 February 2011 13:01, Wilmer van der Gaast<wilmer@google.com>  wrote:
>>> Also, since the release of the last draft we have:
>>>
> <snip>
>

> There are also some drafts related to the "CDN" problem in general that have been published lately and there is going to be a BOF (see below) on the topic in Prague. I'm not sure exactly how this draft will play with that proposed work, update appreciated by someone that has read all the drafts.

The edns-client-subnet draft is complementary but not directly related to the CDNI BoF.

edns-client-subnet provides a mechanism to pass the subnet of the client through to the authoritative DNS server to allow that server to return more targetted responses. It could be useful, for example, for CDNs deployed within ISP networks where the CDN caches are deployed closer to the end users than the DNS infrastructure therefore enabling cache selection to be performed based on the client's subnet rather than the client's DNS server's subnet.

The CDNI BoF is about interconnecting CDNs so that, for example, a CDN with a limited geographical footprint can "hand over" delivery to a different CDN for end users outside of its footprint.

HTH
Ben (CDNI BoF protagonist & co-author draft-jenkins-cdni-problem-statement)