Re: [dnsext] Design team report on dnssec-bis-updates and CD bit

"W.C.A. Wijngaards" <wouter@NLnetLabs.nl> Mon, 12 July 2010 10:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:13:37 +0200
From: "W.C.A. Wijngaards" <wouter@NLnetLabs.nl>
To: Michael Graff <mgraff@isc.org>
CC: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Design team report on dnssec-bis-updates and CD bit
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Hi,

I sort of agree with Michael and George, that there are multiple
options, this seems to be a list of what local-policy a resolver could
implement.  What a CD flag does works fine: the upstream either gives
the unaltered, unabridged data or does "funky policy" on it.  Below I
attempt to list some pros and cons.

* After root key deployment, it is likely that if a trust anchor is in
place, it is the root key.  Thus everything falls under the trust
anchor.  And the tables are not useful in that case.
* CD=1 in general makes debugging DNSSEC easier.  This for the question
'help or hinder DNSSEC deployment'.
* intelligence at the end points.  CD=1 makes sure that the end point is
doin' the do, and I think we ought to promote that principle.
* Seems that the current implementations all set CD=1, but I could be
mistaken.
* If you want to improve current implementations, 'CD=1 cache MAY be
validated in order to attempt to not cache nonvalidatable data', so
using its trust anchors simply to attempt to flush bogus data out of the
cache (but not refusing to serve contents).
* The only case I can think of that has 'cooperating validators with
different trust anchors' in today's dnssec deployment is a firm that has
a local DNS zone signed, and also uses an upstream ISP cache.  But it
would be trivial to add the public internet trust anchor to the firm's
validators?

Therefore I think the always-set is simpler.  I think these tables are
not appropriate in dnssec-bis-updates.

Best regards,
   Wouter