Re: [dnsext] Progress on moving the mailing list

bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com Fri, 01 October 2010 04:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 04:08:22 +0000
From: bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 05:21:35PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Some time ago, we said we were going to move the WG mailing list from
> namedroppers@ops.ietf.org to dnsext@ietf.org.  This sort of fell off
> the radar as it looked like the WG was running out of things to do & I
> absurdly thought we might actually wind up or go back to sleep or
> something.  But with the rechartering in motion, it seemed to me we
> ought to make good on this.
>
> We've started the process, so the list dnsext@ietf.org has been created.
>
> At the moment, it has no members, and if you post to it your message
> will be moderated (and then we'll reject it).
>
> Over the coming period, we will subscribe all the existing
> namedroppers members to the dnsext@ietf.org list.  You will receive a
> message when this happens.  If you don't want to receive dnsext mail
> messages, then please unsubscribe then, or unsubscribe from
> namedroppers now.
>
> We will ask the operators of the namedroppers list to put an alias
> forwarding messaages to namedroppers instead to the dnsext list, and
> not to accept new subscriptions to namedroppers.  You won't get
> duplicate messages during the change over, and you won't lose mail to
> the list.  There will probably be a short period when new messages to
> the list are disallowed, and if you have filters that are using the
> exiting namedroppers headers, you will need to update them.
>
> I will post another announcement in the future with firm dates for the
> cutover.  I will give people ample notice of the cutover date so that
> they may update their filters.  In the meantime, the mail address will
> be dnsext@ietf.org and the RFC 2369 headers will follow the pattern of
> all the other lists hosted in the IETF mail infrastructure.
>
> Best regards,

	I applaud this clean up. namedroppers, as a name, is an
	ancient historical artifact, in the same vein as the end2end
	(e2e) list.  With increasing specialization, the original
	charter of namedroppers (to dicuss naming schemes) has been
	overcome by events in that pretty much all we talk about
	is tweeks (the EXT) to the DNS protocol.  Its high time that
	we retired the old name and used a name that properly reflects
	the work that is being/planned for the DNS protocol ... perhaps

	dns-discuss@ietf.org  - general DNS discussion
	dnsext@ietf.org       - extentions to the DNS

	if there was a reason to retain "namedroppers" - it might properly
	be in the IRTF, where discussions on non-DNS naming architectures
	might properly take place.

	Or we could follow the e2e path, leaving the list intact, but moving
	all new discussion to the other list(s), like

		dnsop@
		oarc@
		dnssec-deployment@
		etc...