A note of apology (Was: Kaminsky, Cache Poisoning, and Censorship)

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> Fri, 15 August 2008 04:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:56:36 -0400
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com>
To: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: A note of apology (Was: Kaminsky, Cache Poisoning, and Censorship)
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Dear colleagues,

Dean Anderson has brought an error to my attention:

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 04:31:52PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:

> > [ Moderators note: Post was moderated, either because it was posted by
> >    a non-subscriber, or because it was over 20K.
> >    With the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss and therefore
> >    delete relevant posts by non-subscribers.
> >    Please fix your subscription addresses. ]
>
> The moderators note is false, and deceives the Working Group. I am a
> subscriber, and the post was not over 20K.

I wish to apologise to the members of the Working Group, and to Mr
Anderson, for my error.  Mr Anderson, as many of you may be aware, had
his posting privileges revoked [1].  Because of that, Mr Anderson's
post was caught in the same trap as non-subscribers' mail.  When I
approved it, I used an incorrect mechanism.  That mechanism added the
"Moderator's note" text you see quoted by Mr Anderson.

The inserted text is therefore my fault, and I wish to correct the
error.  Mr Anderson's post was not moderated because of being posted
by a non-subscriber, or because of its size.  It was moderated
because, while Mr Anderson is a subscriber to the mailing list, he is
not automatically allowed to post.  I should have used a different
mechanism to approve his post (one that would not have added only that
text).

I regret the error.  Olafur and I are currently reviewing mailing list
administration, but this particular mistake is entirely mine.

Best regards,

Andrew

[1] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2008/msg00149.html

--