Re: [dnsext] BOF on variants for ICANN San Francisco

Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@abenaki.wabanaki.net> Wed, 09 March 2011 19:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 14:19:11 -0500
From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@abenaki.wabanaki.net>
To: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] BOF on variants for ICANN San Francisco

I commend ICANN's staff variant project team for communicating (via
Kim) a notice to the DNSEXT WG.

I can recall no prior ICANN organized "IDN" activity to which an open
invitation to the DNS (or IDN) technical community was offered --
every such activity I contributed to was due to accidental discovery
on my part, not an invitation by ICANN.

So that is an improvement.

Unfortunately, the less than useful "variant" nomenclature is used, so
one has to guess, assuming one differentiates between the issues
presented by two very large character repertoires with a large
intersection, character repertoires with sparse sub-repertoires of
positionally dependent combining characters, character repertoires
with pervasive diacriticals, or character repertoires with sparse or
singleton pairs, the actual scope of work to be allocated to ICANN or
the IETF.

That is a non-improvement.

Unfortunately also, the temporal properties of "synchronized domains",
the result of some prior, and limited consultation between
participants to both the IETF and ICANN, is not noted as very
difficult to achieve and not removed from the possible areas of work
to be undertaken, at least by an IETF WG.

Of course, absence of mention is possibly an improvement.

If arrangements for remote participation are made, I will participate.

Eric

P.S. Leveling both barrels at the innocent civilians presenting their
l10n work from home using the i18n framework the IDN/IDNAbis WG's
created ("case studies from different regions that may require variant
solutions") is not a substitute for communicating policy issues with
ICANN or a hard to identify ambiguous requirements author. A co-chair,
you know who you are, please take note.