Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

"Vaggelis Segredakis" <segred@ics.forth.gr> Thu, 17 February 2011 08:22 UTC

From: Vaggelis Segredakis <segred@ics.forth.gr>
To: 'Andrew Sullivan' <ajs@shinkuro.com>, dnsext@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:21:58 +0200
Subject: Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

Dear Andrew,

>As a matter of _protocol_, however, what you asked for devolves to
>"more than two".  Once we're at that point, the size of the set
>doesn't really matter except for the question of where the trade-off
>will be for performance reasons.

That is OK, as long as it provides a solution. However, what you say above
does not imply necessarily the use of "wildcards", right? It is a different
thing to use wildcards in the DNS protocol and completely different to ask
for a group of FQDNs to be the "same".

>Moreover, you're not the only one asking.  This is certainly not a WG
>devoted to solving the problem of how to make things easier for the
>.gr registry.  Whatever we do has to be a significant improvement for
>many different kinds of uses, or it's not worth changing the protocol,
>even if that means you lose.  Sorry.

Andrew, you have been crystal-clear in many occasions that we shouldn't
expect a solution just for .gr domain names and we are not expecting
something like that. However, if we do not bring our experience along with
others in this discussion then we discuss solutions that are not applicable
to the real problem.

You do not need to be sorry; you are the chair of the group and somedays
somebody loses; the chair will have the task to announce it. However, up to
that specific point of time please be impartial because I have the feeling
you would prefer this discussion to end as soon as possible and that is not
just.

Kind Regards,

Vaggelis Segredakis