Re: [DNSOP] EDNS0 clientID is a wider-internet question

Robert Edmonds <edmonds@mycre.ws> Mon, 24 July 2017 23:44 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:44:16 -0400
From: Robert Edmonds <edmonds@mycre.ws>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Cc: George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>, dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] EDNS0 clientID is a wider-internet question

RFC 7217 ("A Method for Generating Semantically Opaque Interface
Identifiers with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)") is
sort of relevant. From the introduction of that document, which
describes drawbacks of traditional IPv6 SLAAC addresses:

   o  Since the resulting Interface Identifiers are constant across
      networks, the resulting IPv6 addresses can be leveraged to track
      and correlate the activity of a host across multiple networks
      (e.g., track and correlate the activities of a typical client
      connecting to the public Internet from different locations), thus
      negatively affecting the privacy of users.

That drawback translates pretty much directly to the 48-bit MAC
CLIENT-IDENTIFIER variant in draft-tale-dnsop-edns0-clientid.

For the dnsmasq use case, I would guess there's a CPE router/gateway
device involved, in which case the CPE device has a unique
device-specific value burned in (e.g., a WAN-facing MAC address, or
serial number) which could easily be hashed together with the client's
MAC address to produce a stable but opaque identifier specific to the
particular CPE device involved. (That is, if the client device travels
to a different network gatewayed by a CPE device implementing the same
scheme, the identifier generated would be different, because the CPE
device has a different WAN-facing MAC address.) So, the cloud would
still wind up executing the PII -> policy translation, but you take the
'P' out of 'PII', and don't need to store any extra state on the CPE
device.