Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [dns-operations] dnsop-any-notimp violates the DNS standards
From: Robert Edmonds <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Cc: dnsop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:16:26 -0400
List-Id: IETF DNSOP WG mailing list <dnsop.ietf.org>

Paul Wouters wrote:
> I bet most qmail installs run from distributions that have included the
> CNAME patch. I'm not sure if this is going to break more than 1 server.
> 
> All debian qmail packages come with:
> 
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/q/qmail/qmail_1.03-49.2.diff.gz

This is the "qmail" source package [0] that was shipped in prior Debian
releases.  In the current stable release and newer, the "qmail" binary
package is provided by the "netqmail" source package [1].

[0] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/qmail

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/netqmail

> +  * Applied patch to dns.c to allow e-mail to deliver correctly to systems where
> +    their DNS size is greater > 512.  Fixes "CNAME Lookup Failure" error when
> +    delivering mail to aol.com
> +
> + -- Jon Marler <[email-masked]>  Sat,  29 May 1999 12:33:00 +0100

There are at least two DNS-related qmail patches in circulation, an
"ANY-to-CNAME" patch [2], and a "large DNS packet" patch [3].  This
changelog entry for the old Debian "qmail" source package appears to be
referring to only the latter patch, because the ANY-to-CNAME patch does
not appear to be present [4].

The binary package you currently get from "apt-get install qmail" is
built with a dns.c [5] that appears to have identical behavior to the
original qmail 1.03, i.e., neither of the two patches are included.

[2] http://www.memoryhole.net/qmail/any-to-cname.patch

[3] http://www.memoryhole.net/qmail/qmail-103.patch

[4] https://sources.debian.net/src/qmail/1.03-49.2/dns.c/#L214

[5] https://sources.debian.net/src/netqmail/1.06-5/dns.c/

-- 
Robert Edmonds