Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org> Tue, 10 June 2008 11:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:14:55 +0100
From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

Gervase Markham wrote:
> - "No, sorry, you can't do any of the things for which you might want
> this data"
>
> - "It's fine to want this data, but you should get it via this
> alternative method:..."

I'm inclined to suggest: Gather and hard-code your list into Firefox,
and also provide a mechanism by which domain authorities can publish
information which overrides your list for their domain.

E.g. When evaluating online.myservice.free.fr, Firefox could look up
DNS records for online.myservice.free.fr, myservice.free.fr, free.fr
and .fr (in that order), and if there's a record use that.  If not,
use the hard-coded information you have gathered for that domain.

In this case, you would expect, eventually, that free.fr may publish a
record indicating that $NAME.free.fr are independent adminstratives
entities, and that's the first record you'll fine.

One day, someone creates dyndns.littleisp.free.fr, and lets people
register themselves underneath that domain.  (Such as
littlecustomer.dyndns.littleisp.free.fr).  Then, instead of contacting
you and trying to get their information into your next Firefox update,
they would simply publish a DNS record on dyndns.littleisp.free.fr,
and the information would be live immediately.  Not just for Firefox,
but for any web client which adopts the same scheme.

(By the way, alFrom dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Tue Jun 10 04:14:42 2008