[DNSOP] Spencer Dawkins' Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix-04: (with DISCUSS)

Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com> Wed, 10 October 2018 21:33 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix@ietf.org, Benno Overeinder <benno@NLnetLabs.nl>, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, benno@NLnetLabs.nl, dnsop@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 14:33:45 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] Spencer Dawkins' Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix-04: (with DISCUSS)

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix-04: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix/

DISCUSS:

This is absolutely a "plea for clue Discuss", after which I will immediately
clear because the right thing will happen.

There are three text blocks that follow this form:

   If a public specification that defines use of a "TXT" calls for the
   use of an underscore-prefixed domain name, the global underscored
   name -- the one closest to the root -- MUST be entered into this
   registry, if it is not already registered.

->Here is a template of suggested text for this to appear in the IANA
->Considerations section of the specification:

      "Per" [Attrleaf] "please add the following entry to the DNS
      Underscore Global Scoped Entry Registry:"

Do you have a really strong sense that this shouldn't be

   If a public specification that defines use of a "TXT" calls for the
   use of an underscore-prefixed domain name, the global underscored
   name -- the one closest to the root -- MUST be entered into this
   registry, if it is not already registered, by adding this text to
   the IANA Considerations section of the specification:

      "Per" [Attrleaf] "please add the following entry to the DNS
      Underscore Global Scoped Entry Registry:"

I may be overreacting to "MUST do something like this", which is roughly what
I'm reading into "template of suggested text", and if I am, I'm almost sure
someone will tell me that ... but I'm not seeing an obvious reason to REQUIRE
one of an unbounded set of flowers to bloom ;-)