[DNSOP] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format-08: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in> Wed, 21 November 2018 01:18 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format@ietf.org, Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com>, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, tjw.ietf@gmail.com, dnsop@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 17:18:23 -0800
Subject: [DNSOP] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format-08: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format/

COMMENT:

I support Benjamin's first DISCUSS point. In addition to documenting the
privacy considerations, I think it's important for this document to be crystal
clear about who is meant to be doing the data collection -- namely, the server
operator. There are some statements in the document that otherwise could be
construed to be encouraging third-party passive monitoring of DNS traffic
without explaining why, which seems like a problem:

Section 1:

"There has long been a need to collect DNS queries and responses on
   authoritative and recursive name servers for monitoring and analysis."

Section 3:

"In an ideal world, it would be optimal to collect full packet
   captures of all packets going in or out of a name server."