Re: [DNSOP] More complete review of draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-01

"Guangqing Deng" <dengguangqing@cnnic.cn> Thu, 02 January 2014 06:46 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 14:46:19 +0800
From: Guangqing Deng <dengguangqing@cnnic.cn>
To: Joe Abley <jabley@hopcount.ca>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] More complete review of draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-01

comments in-line.

Guangqing Deng
CNNIC

From: Joe Abley
Date: 2014-01-01 06:41
To: Christian Grothoff
CC: hellekin; IETF DNSOP WG; wachs; jacob; Andrew Sullivan

>On 2013-12-31, at 15:06, Christian Grothoff <christian@grothoff.org> wrote:

>> And again, a key question for me is, if you really want to _encourage_
>> people to _first_ deploy at large scale and _then_ reserve the name.

>You can reserve a name for $10/year, no IETF process required. Less if you reserve under an existing domain name.

>The key question for me is, why do any of these uses necessarily require reservation of a TLD label, or something that looks like one?

>If (to take an example at random) Tor users could make use of names outside of the DNS that look like DNS names under a .ONION TLD, why could they not just as easily make use of >names that end in ONION.EFF.ORG?

Another factor may be the resolution delay, if real-time is really very important for those so called P2P applications. Usually in the hierachical  DNS system, the resolution delay of domain names like EXAMPLE.ONION is less than that of those like EXAMPLE.ONION.EFF.ORG. So maybe we should consider more about does the TLD (like .ONION) is really needed?