Re: [DNSOP] additional special names Fwd: I-D Action: draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-00.txt

Lyman Chapin <lyman@interisle.net> Tue, 28 January 2014 21:56 UTC

From: Lyman Chapin <lyman@interisle.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:56:45 -0500
To: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
Cc: Mark McFadden <markmcfadden@icc-uk.com>, "dnsop@ietf.org WG" <dnsop@ietf.org>, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldwide@gmail.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] additional special names Fwd: I-D Action: draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-00.txt

On Jan 27, 2014, at 11:40 PM, Stuart Cheshire wrote:

> On 8 Jan, 2014, at 10:18, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldwide@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Colleagues,
>>
>> This new internet-draft is another request for additions to the RFC 6761 special names registry, this time motivated by an interest in reserving the names most commonly found in recent analysis of TLDs in private name spaces. The special names registration would serve to minimize the chances of collision between private and public DNS namespaces by keeping these names unassigned in the public namespace.
>>
>> In addition to discussion on the merits of this specific request, I would expect the IESG to be interested in any new aspects this request brings up to the discussion we were already having on the p2p special names draft, and the usability and scalability of the process in RFC 6761.
>
> I think the goal of the draft is worthy, but there are some details to work out:
>
> 1. The draft states that eight TLDs are to be designated “Special Use”, but doesn’t actually say for any of them *what* the special use is.

Hi Stuart -

The draft was intended to capture existing observed high-volume uses of non-delegated TLD names empirically, rather than trying to determine the circumstances under which local use of a particular TLD name occurs (which might be highly various, depending on the name). Essentially, all of these names are proposed for designation as "special use" because they are already in widespread "special use" - that is, they are widely used as TLDs in name spaces that do not resolve (or do not resolve as they were intended to resolve) through the global DNS. I understand that this is different from the original intention of RFC 6761, which assumes that a name should be reserved for "special use" only when the "special use" is well understood and well documented. In this case, the names have been observed (see the references in the i-d) in "special use" contexts, but the nature of the "special use" in each case is not necessarily evident from the data.

The rationale for reserving these names for "special use" is the potential for name collision if they are also delegated as resolvable entries in the global IANA root, which could disrupt the operation and/or compromise the security of networks that are part of the global Internet but maintain locally-resolved name spaces. From the IETF standpoint, this is an O&M issue. ICANN's interest in selling these names to new gTLD applicants is orthogonal to the interest of the IETF in ensuring the stability and robustness of the Internet (including the DNS) for its users -

- Lyman