Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-02.txt

Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> Fri, 05 June 2015 00:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 01:35:47 +0100
From: Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Sender: Tony Finch <fanf2@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-02.txt

I like the formatting in the new draft, a great improvement! And thanks
for incorporating so many of my suggestions.

I mentioned an alphabetical index in my previous comment - I expect that
will be easier to add during final editing. I want to mention it again
because one of the main questions a reader will have is, does this
glossary define the term I am looking for? An alphabetical index would
help a lot.

I am disappointed by the discussion of this revision in two related ways.
Principally, I was hoping that the comments and questions that I sent to
the WG a month ago would be provocative - the arguments around this draft
have been interesting. But in the absence of any replies I was at least
hoping for point-by-point explanations from the document authors about why
they did not adopt particular suggestions. Two sides to an argument is a
lot more interesting than a huge pile of nitpicking :-) Perhaps we are all
suffering from re-reading fatigue...

The previous version had a note about recursion and iteration that I think
came from one of my earlier suggestions. I tried to flesh out that
suggestion in my message last month, but it wasn't adopted. I would really
like some critical discussion of the "more definitions" section of
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg14243.html

Three remaining complaints about the draft's contents:

"recursive mode" and "iterative mode". No-one uses those phrases.

The definition of "authoritative data" is still wrong.

I am still unhappy about the description of referrals. (I found them
surprisingly slippery when I was writing my suggestions.)

And I think delegation is more often a noun than a verb.

Nits:

Under SEP, "RRdata" should be "RDATA". Also, I think this sentence from
RFC 6781 section 3.2.3 is important because most key management tooling
implements it - "It is suggested that the SEP flag be set on keys that are
used as KSKs and not on keys that are used as ZSKs."

"child-centric resolver" - kill it.

Finally, I recently found Dyn's terminology list which is pretty nice,
though it include a lot of off-topic headwords. But it is probably worth a
look in case it has anything worth cribbing.
http://pages.dyn.com/rs/dyn/images/EB002_DNS-Terminology_v2.pdf

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Northerly 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times, but easterly 6 to gale 8