Re: [DNSOP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: (with COMMENT)

Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz> Mon, 07 June 2021 12:10 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, dnsop@ietf.org, benno@nlnetlabs.nl
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 14:09:59 +0200
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> writes:

>> >    "status":  Include only if a class or type registration has been
>> >       deprecated or obsoleted.  In both cases, use the value "obsolete"
>> >       as the argument of the "status" statement.
>> >
>> > I don't see any logic in the XSLT that looks for "deprecated", just
>> > "OBSOLETE".  (This may be fine, given that there's not currently
>> > anything listed as deprecated in the live registry...)
>>
>> Right, the XSLT stylesheet is expected to work on those two registries in their current state. The registry XML is loose in some respects and it is not clear (to me at least) how a deprecated entry will exactly look like. It would be certainly better to indicate the status e.g. with an XML attribute. Searching for magic words like "OBSOLETE" in the entry text is brittle, but it's currently the only way.
>
> Understood about the current way being brittle but nothing better being
> available (yet).
>
> My comment here was intended more along the lines of an apparent
> inconsistency between the text and the code -- the text says that we will
> set "status obsolete" if the registration is deprecated, but the XSLT
> doesn't do that.  IMO it would be better to either drop the text about
> deprecated or add code to look for it (but this is just a non-blocking
> comment so my opinion doesn't count for too much).

These are instructions for IANA regarding future updates, where registry-deprecated items might come into play. They can choose how to deal with it:

- either via manual updates of the YANG module, exactly as it is done for, e.g., iana-if-type [RFC7224]
- or by extending the XSLT stylesheet, and possibly also fixing the flaws in the XML

>> >        <apply-templates
>> >            select="iana:registry[@id='dns-parameters-2']"/>
>> >        <apply-templates
>> >            select="iana:registry[@id='dns-parameters-4']"/>
>> >
>> > Hardcoding the names "dns-parameters-2" and "dns-parameters-4" is in the
>> > class of things that (if I understand correctly) IANA is not always keen
>> > on people doing.  In this case it's probably not a big issue, since the
>> > output of the transformation will be looked at by a human before it's
>> > published, and we can modify the template if needed, but I do wonder if
>> > any identifier more closely aligned to the registry's role is available.
>>
>> Again, it is only required to work for the initial revision. I would be happy to work with IANA on a more "durable" version of the stylesheet but, as you wrote, the XML format may not be maintained for long.
>
> I feel pretty confident that IANA will continue to publish an XML version
> even if it ends up being generated from some other source.  Anyway, there's
> no urgency for getting a more "durable" version, so we should probably just
> wait and react if any issues arise in the future.

+1

Thanks, Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka