Re: [DNSOP] DNSOP: question about hardening "something like mDNS" against attacks

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 26 October 2020 16:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:59:15 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, kaduk@mit.edu
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] DNSOP: question about hardening "something like mDNS" against attacks

Thanks, Ted.

I agree with your overall assesment, but the question was what
an implementation should do in the face of a particular pre-existing
condition: Aka: With mDNS or GRASP as they both stand today
(me of course right now primarily interest in GRASP< but if
 implementation/operational guidance for mDNS existed, i could simply
 point to that).

The networks where i am worried are not home networks,
but something like an office park network, where supposedly each
tenant (company) should have gotten their disjoint L2 domains, ... and then
they didn't. And one of the tenants has a "funny" network engineer/hacker.

So, eliminate for your assessment the option of better
protocols. Now, why would this heuristic then still be
"very bad" ? To me it just eliminates the benefits of
dynamic port signaling when there is an attack. And has no
impact under no attack.

Cheers
    Toerless