Re: [DNSOP] adoption mechanics and disclaimers wrt dns-rpz

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Tue, 21 March 2017 02:18 UTC

To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, Paul Vixie <vixie@fsi.io>
Cc: DNSOP <dnsop@ietf.org>
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:18:16 -0700
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] adoption mechanics and disclaimers wrt dns-rpz

On 3/20/17 8:15 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:55 AM, Paul Vixie <vixie@fsi.io> wrote:
>> on sunday march 12, chinese.apricot@gmail.com wrote as follows:
>>
>>> I'd be happy to see the document proceed under two conditions:  1) it
>>> becomes a WG document, subject to IETF change control, and 2) that the
>>> disclaimer requested back on 20170103 be added to the document. To refresh
>>> the collective mind, here is the missing text:
>>>
>>> applicability statement.
>>>
>>> This draft is documents a process and method for intercepting DNS queries
>>> and fabricating responses to redirect the querier into a walled garden or
>>> enclave that is NOT part of the open Internet. Adoption and acceptance of
>>> this draft is an acknowledgement that the IETF, the IAB and ISOC reject the
>>> principles espoused at https://open-stand.org/about-us/principles/, in
>>> particular article 3.  Collective Empowerment insofar as the evolution of
>>> the DNS is concerned.
>> i was not subscribed at the time, so i'm working from the archives. the above
>> quoted text is wrongheaded and its proposals unacceptable in several ways.
>>
>> first, the document has been adopted, but is not subject to ietf change
>> control.
>
> Authors (and DNSOP),
>
> It appears that this may have been a process violation here - RFC5378
> Section 3.3. Right to Produce Derivative Works seems to say that the
> IETF needs change control before a WG can formally adopt a document. I
> believe that we missed the fact that this included "non-standard"
> copyright boilerplate.
>
> I / we are still investigating, and would appreciate it if the WG
> gives us some time to figure this out.
Hi,

It appears to be the case that the author's statement above necessarily
precludes adoption as a working group document. It is not uncommon for
documents to have terms applied to them  that are incompatible with
working group adoption. Those are sometimes altered on adoption,
processed as individual submissions, or through another stream (external
standards require special handling for example, rfc 5830). Applying the
tlp 5  section 6c limitations is obviously at the discretion of the
contributors and may be changed at any time.

thanks
joel