Re: [DNSOP] New draft on delegation revalidation

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Tue, 14 April 2020 00:04 UTC

From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:04:17 +1000
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New draft on delegation revalidation

> On 12 Apr 2020, at 03:57, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:
>
> In article <CAHPuVdX5ihg5_hiwyatuXXxvUG6Luh1nQeFGtfvsm-f--bxYGQ@mail.gmail.com> you write:
>> Sure. Brian was asking specifically asking about the TLD case, so my
>> answer was in that context. For that space, I think one of the issues is:
>> even if they were willing to verify all the delegations, it isn't clear what
>> they are permitted to do about it, beyond notification to the registrants
>> (or so I've heard).
>
> Remember that in ICANN contracted TLDs and in some ccTLDs, a registry
> can only contact registrants by going through the registrars.

So they sent the notices via the registrar.  There is nothing preventing
that.  Just a unwillingness to exercise the path.  Registrars that fail
to pass on notices would, I presume, be in breach of contract.

> While I
> can imagine some hack (EPP probably) for the registry to tell the
> registrar about inconsistent NS, I don't see the point.  The lousy
> registrars won't care, the good ones could check and notify themselves
> if they want to.

The parent zone operators are already required to perform the checks (see
STD 13).  Just because many have been too lazy to do so doesn’t excuse them
of the responsibility they took on when choosing to manage the zone.  Now
if they want to amend the contract they have with the registrars so that
they do they checks they are free to do so but they still have to ensure
the checks are done.

"As the last installation step, the delegation NS RRs and glue RRs
necessary to make the delegation effective should be added to the parent
zone.  The administrators of both zones should insure that the NS and
glue RRs which mark both sides of the cut are consistent and remain so.”

I don’t see “unless you are a TLD operator” in there as a exemption.  The
“and remain so” implies the regular checks need to be made.  The instructions
clearly require “both sides” to check and take steps remedy inconsistencies.

The requirement to communicate through a registrar is not a “get out of gaol
free” card.