Subject: [DNSOP] New version of DNS for AI Discovery (DNS-AID)
From: Jim Mozley <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2026 17:46:06 +0000
List-Id: IETF DNSOP WG mailing list <dnsop.ietf.org>

Hi dnsop,

We'd welcome your feedback on a new version of DNS for AI Discovery (DNS-AID), the abstract and links are below.

Changes in draft-mozleywilliams-dnsop-dnsaid-02:

- Rearranged structure to focus on three generic use cases
- Make clear that DNS-AID is focussed on the use cases of an individual
  agent and organizational index
- Improved clarity on the usage of SVCB records to represent agents
  based on many collaborative discussions
- Differentiated between the core of the standard and the future work
  and experimental mechanisms that can be explored further by test
  implementations and at the IETF 126 hackathon

The authors :-)

A new version of Internet-Draft draft-mozleywilliams-dnsop-dnsaid-02.txt has
been successfully submitted and posted to the IETF repository.

Name:     draft-mozleywilliams-dnsop-dnsaid
Revision: 02
Title:    DNS for AI Discovery
Date:     2026-05-27
Group:    Individual Submission
Pages:    23
URL:      https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mozleywilliams-dnsop-dnsaid-02.txt
Status:   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mozleywilliams-dnsop-dnsaid/
HTMLized: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mozleywilliams-dnsop-dnsaid
Diff:     https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-mozleywilliams-dnsop-dnsaid-02

Abstract:

  The document standardizes an approach for publishing AI agents in the
  Domain Name System (DNS) so that other agents can discover them.
  Discovery is then initiated based on one of three generic use cases,
  in increasing computational and latency cost: (1) the requestor knows
  both the organization and agent (2) the requestor knows the
  organization that provides a capability, but not the specific agent
  (3) the requestor knows the required capability, but not the
  organization or agent.  Of these use cases only (1) and (2) are in
  scope for this document, although (3) can be derived from this
  specification.

  DNS for AI Discovery (DNS-AID) is designed so that, once a client has
  learned an organization's agents, subsequent transactions can utilize
  the first use case with the benefit of cacheable connectivity
  information that is learnable as an agentic skill.  The mechanism
  uses Service Binding (SVCB) records for connectivity information and
  key meta data, a well known entry point using DNS-Based Service
  Discovery (DNS-SD) labels into an organization's agent index, and
  optionally DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC) and DNS-Based
  Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) TLSA records for trust and
  security.  DNS-AID provides consumers of agent services with a direct
  connection method for agentic workloads not mediated by a third
  party.  Organizations can use the same approach across public and
  private networks networks, providing consistency and common
  operational models, including publishing agents that are hosted in
  service provider domains.

  This document introduces no new resource record types, opcodes, or
  response codes.