Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-wkumari-dnsop-alt-tld-00.txt

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Thu, 13 February 2014 00:27 UTC

Return-Path: <marka@isc.org>
X-Original-To: dnsop@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: dnsop@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B2AE51A0051 for <dnsop@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:27:01 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -6.849
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-6.849 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, J_CHICKENPOX_54=0.6, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI=-5, RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.548, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id FH4d27kfsOBW for <dnsop@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:26:59 -0800 (PST)
Received: from mx.ams1.isc.org (mx.ams1.isc.org [199.6.1.65]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0F0C31A0047 for <dnsop@ietf.org>; Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:26:59 -0800 (PST)
Received: from zmx1.isc.org (zmx1.isc.org [149.20.0.20]) by mx.ams1.isc.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id B61932383B6; Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:26:45 +0000 (UTC) (envelope-from marka@isc.org)
Received: from zmx1.isc.org (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by zmx1.isc.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 355A9160058; Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:27:29 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from rock.dv.isc.org (c211-30-183-50.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au [211.30.183.50]) by zmx1.isc.org (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id C3324160057; Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:27:28 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from rock.dv.isc.org (localhost [IPv6:::1]) by rock.dv.isc.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id BDB3CF34A2A; Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:26:42 +1100 (EST)
To: George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
References: <20140210205838.15973.63281.idtracker@ietfa.amsl.com> <E63B37B9-EFA0-43A5-9AC5-81CEC23C342C@viagenie.ca> <00BDA580-984F-41D1-8659-04278737A526@hopcount.ca> <CAKr6gn1fjJG=pgYbu7oDEOo+g1PQruRid5HRD3NTRiXVUFmSHw@mail.gmail.com>
In-reply-to: Your message of "Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:38:50 +1000." <CAKr6gn1fjJG=pgYbu7oDEOo+g1PQruRid5HRD3NTRiXVUFmSHw@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:26:42 +1100
Message-Id: <20140213002642.BDB3CF34A2A@rock.dv.isc.org>
Cc: draft-wkumari-dnsop-alt-tld@tools.ietf.org, dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-wkumari-dnsop-alt-tld-00.txt
X-BeenThere: dnsop@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: IETF DNSOP WG mailing list <dnsop.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/dnsop>, <mailto:dnsop-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/>
List-Post: <mailto:dnsop@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:dnsop-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop>, <mailto:dnsop-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:27:01 -0000

In message <CAKr6gn1fjJG=pgYbu7oDEOo+g1PQruRid5HRD3NTRiXVUFmSHw@mail.gmail.com>;,
 George Michaelson writes:
> 
> >
> > On 2014-02-12, at 11:28, Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>; wrote:
> >
> > > - I like better that approach than the previous draft registering many
> > tlds.
> >
> > The previous draft (at least for some of the TLDs) was anchored in the
> > reality that changing the name already in use was not practical, e.g.
> > there's a sufficient deployed base that uses DNS-like names ending in ONION
> > that proposals to use things like ONION.ARPA were non-starters.
> >
> 
> I dissent from this view. I strongly disagree with any characterisation of
> the problem of code replacement in service being intractable, and I think
> it is a false premise.
> 
> I realize I am probably a lone voice on this, but at *no* time have I felt
> the "there are too many already" argument has merit, and it has materially
> impeded several outcomes we now face, because of failure to accept the
> necessary transition pain. The future is always bigger.

You are not a lone voice.  I have already described how to do such
migrations.  They take time but they are do able.
 
> > I think therefore that the ALT draft addresses quite a different problem:
> > the choice of DNS-like (but not DNS) name structure for new applications
> > that we don't know about yet.
> 
> And as a consequence I disagree with this too. An orderly migration from
> .ONION to another namespace is both feasible and capable of being planned
> for.
> 
> -G
> 
> --001a1134519a2a68fd04f23e132e
> Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> 
> <div dir=3D"ltr"><br><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><br><div class=3D"gmail=
> _quote">On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Joe Abley <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a=
>  href=3D"mailto:jabley@hopcount.ca" target=3D"_blank">jabley@hopcount.ca</a=
> >&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=
> x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D""><br>
> On 2014-02-12, at 11:28, Marc Blanchet &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marc.blanchet@=
> viagenie.ca">marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
> <br>
> &gt; - I like better that approach than the previous draft registering many=
>  tlds.<br>
> <br>
> </div>The previous draft (at least for some of the TLDs) was anchored in th=
> e reality that changing the name already in use was not practical, e.g. the=
> re&#39;s a sufficient deployed base that uses DNS-like names ending in ONIO=
> N that proposals to use things like ONION.ARPA were non-starters.<br>
> </blockquote><div><br></div><div>I dissent from this view. I strongly disag=
> ree with any characterisation of the problem of code replacement in service=
>  being intractable, and I think it is a false premise.</div><div><br></div>
> <div>I realize I am probably a lone voice on this, but at *no* time have I =
> felt the &quot;there are too many already&quot; argument has merit, and it =
> has materially impeded several outcomes we now face, because of failure to =
> accept the necessary transition pain. The future is always bigger.=A0</div>
> <div><br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex=
> ;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
> <br>
> I think therefore that the ALT draft addresses quite a different problem: t=
> he choice of DNS-like (but not DNS) name structure for new applications tha=
> t we don&#39;t know about yet.<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>And as a=
>  consequence I disagree with this too. An orderly migration from .ONION to =
> another namespace is both feasible and capable of being planned for.</div>
> <div><br></div><div>-G=A0</div></div></div></div>
> 
> --001a1134519a2a68fd04f23e132e--
> 
> 
> --===============0150303104473161178==
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Content-Disposition: inline
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> DNSOP@ietf.org
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
> 
> --===============0150303104473161178==--
> 
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org