Re: [DNSOP] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-13: (with COMMENT)

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> Wed, 10 October 2018 20:35 UTC

To: Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com>, benno@NLnetLabs.nl, dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 16:35:15 -0400
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-13: (with COMMENT)

On 10/10/2018 3:40 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-13: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf/

> COMMENT:
>
> This is a DNS specification that is fairly clear to people who know a little
> about DNS, but not a lot. You win.
>
> This text
>
>     DNS data semantics have been
>     limited to the specification of particular resource record types, on
>     the expectation that new ones would be added as needed.
>
> would have been clearer for me, if it said "new resource record types would be
> added as needed".  "new ones" was vague enough to break my train of thought.

Long day, late in the afternoon, lots of comments preceding yours, and I
appear to be approaching a threshold of pissiness (which I figure you
are a far more pleasant target of than any number of the day's
predecessors.)

So I'm going to nitpick your nitpicking...

The current text is:

> DNS data semantics have been limited to the
> specification of particular resource record types, on the expectation that new ones
> would be added as needed. Unfortunately, the addition of new resource record types has
> proven extremely challenging, over the life of the DNS, with significant adoption and
> use barriers.

which I believe is fully clear, given that there does not appear to me
to be any candidate for intepreting 'one' other than 'resource record
type', but worse, making the change you suggest would produce:

      DNS data semantics have been limited to the specification of
particular resource record types, on the expectation that new resource
record types would be added as needed. Unfortunately, the addition of
new resource record types has proven extremely challenging, over the
life of the DNS, with significant adoption and use barriers.

which is one heck of a lot of "resource record types" in the same, short
paragraph.

grrr...

d/

--