Re: [DNSOP] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error

Shane Kerr <shane@time-travellers.org> Thu, 25 October 2018 20:11 UTC

To: dnsop@ietf.org
From: Shane Kerr <shane@time-travellers.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 22:11:02 +0200
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error

Dear DNS colleagues,

I definitely agree with George that last call seems a bit premature. As
he points out, section 6 is a large open question. We need to either
change EDNS behavior to allow an unsolicited EDNS option in a response
or change this draft to include an appropriate EDNS option when it
queries. Personally I think the draft should specify that the query
should include an empty version of this EDNS option to indicate support
(this is actually helpful, as it doesn't make too much sense sending
back extra information that clients will ignore, decades of BIND adding
useless ADDITIONAL section data notwithstanding).

Plus there's also this odd bit of stray text laying around:

    Here is a reference to an "external" (non-RFC / draft) thing:
    ([IANA.AS_Numbers]).  And this is a link to an
    ID:[I-D.ietf-sidr-iana-objects].

Also is this correct:

    o  OPTION-LENGTH, 2 octets ((defined in [RFC6891]) contains the
       length of the payload (everything after OPTION-LENGTH) in octets
       and should be 4.

If I am correct there are at least 6 octets after the OPTION-LENGTH and
possibly more if EXTRA-TEXT is present.

Also, this text seems a bit unclear:

    R - Retry  The R (or Retry) flag provides a hint to the receiver that
       it should retry the query, probably by querying another server.
       If the R bit is set (1), the sender believes that retrying the
       query may provide a successful answer next time; if the R bit is
       clear (0), the sender believes that it should not ask another
       server.

The "probably by querying another server" is odd. In my mind it should
explicitly apply to querying another server ONLY.

The draft refers to EXTRA-TEXT twice, and EXTRA-INFO once which is
presumably meant to be the same thing. In any case, I think the encoding
of this field should be specified as either ASCII or UTF-8. I prefer
UTF-8, because otherwise I won't be able to send back 🤯 emoji in error
messages (and the authors won't be able to use the 🍄 emoji that they
clearly want).

I am not sure I agree with these recommendations:

4.1.5.  Extended DNS Error Code 5 - Unsupported DNSKEY Algorithm

    The resolver attempted to perform DNSSEC validation, but a DNSKEY
    RRSET contained only unknown algorithms.  The R flag should not be
    set.

4.1.6.  Extended DNS Error Code 6 - Unsupported DS Algorithm

    The resolver attempted to perform DNSSEC validation, but a DS RRSET
    contained only unknown algorithms.  The R flag should not be set.

This seems like a case where a stub resolver may want to try another
full-service resolver that may support more algorithms, so perhaps the
text "The R flag should not be set" should be removed.

While the draft suggests that it is possible to add multiple EDE to a
message:

    o  RESPONSE-CODE, 2 octets: this SHOULD be a copy of the RCODE from
       the primary DNS packet.  When including multiple extended error
       EDNS0 records in a response in order to provide additional error
       information, the RESPONSE-CODE MAY be a different RCODE.

It is not explicit about how this is done. If the intention is for a
resolver to forward this back to a stub resolver, then it needs to be
mentioned, probably in section 3, something like this. However, then we
also need some text describing how a client behaves when presented with
multiple EDE.

Finally, do we have any implementations of this draft? It seems pretty
straightforward, but I don't actually think that it's possible to
develop interoperable code with the draft as it stands today. I vaguely
recall that we wanted running code going forward to try to starve the
DNS camel...

Cheers,

--
Shane