Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-pusateri-dnsop-update-timeout-00.txt

Paul Vixie <vixie@fsi.io> Sat, 25 August 2018 18:53 UTC

Sender: vixie@fsi.io
From: Paul Vixie <vixie@fsi.io>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Cc: Tom Pusateri <pusateri@bangj.com>, Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 18:53:17 +0000
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-pusateri-dnsop-update-timeout-00.txt

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 6:11:48 PM UTC Tom Pusateri wrote:

> In most cases, having the primary remember the lease lifetime should be
> enough. But if the outage is longer than the lease lifetime, it would
> better if the secondary would also have that information.

you seem to be proposing that the "secondary" servers, by which i mean those
not the primary master, alter the zone contents in a way that's visible to
query initiators, independently. if so, i oppose this, in the form proposed.

to have more than one source of DNS truth requires "multi-master", so that
zone identity can be partitioned and healed, following partitions and healings
of the connectivity of each responder and its cloud of reachable clients. one
of the hard problems here is split horizon. another is incompatible deltas at
heal time. the database world has grappled with this topic, having varying
degrees of success, for as long as there have been computer networks.

i would like to see DNS add "multi-master". several proprietary vendor
extensions do various parts of this -- though none of them that i know of can
handle split horizon or incompatible deltas. and tellingly, none has been
opened to the community in the form of a standardization effort.

if on the other hand you only intend to carry the timeout information as zone
data transferred in AXFR/IXFR in case a sysop decides that the primary master
will be offline indefinitely and wants to manually promote one of the
"secondary" servers to the role of primary master, then i have no objection.
that's why the TUU and TUD RR's of my 1996 "defupd" proposal are in-zone data
rather than stored in some ancillary location reachable only by the primary
master.

can you verify that you do not intend secondary servers to automatically
expire records, independent of hearing IXFR/AXFR updates from the primary
master, after the primary master applies its own copy of your TIMEOUT RR's?

--
Vixie