Re: [DNSOP] key lengths for DNSSEC

Richard Lamb <richard.lamb@icann.org> Wed, 02 April 2014 20:49 UTC

From: Richard Lamb <richard.lamb@icann.org>
To: Joe Abley <jabley@hopcount.ca>, Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 13:49:07 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] key lengths for DNSSEC

Speaking for myself:

First:  Thank you Jim and Joe for seeking to increase the signal-to-noise ratio on this thread and for explaining what the attack vector would be for lower IQ folk like myself.

Second: I have always taken my instructions from the community. So regardless of what I believe I will faithfully do my part (with your help) to make it happen.

Third: From my vantage point and as author of the code used for the KSK side of things, I do not see any immediate barriers  to increasing key lengths.  The members of the original root DNSSEC design team have enjoyed a very good working relationship and I expect that to continue.  However, like any other change at this level it must be one that is approached conservatively and thoroughly tested before deployed (software, increased RRSet sizes, IPv6 impact, new ZSK generation).  This will take human resources and time.

I look forward to following further discussions on this topic.

-Rick