Re: [DNSOP] Comment on section 2 of draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-05.txt

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Tue, 27 September 2016 00:49 UTC

To: Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:49:27 +1000
Cc: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Comment on section 2 of draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-05.txt

In message <29B4A430-80C7-44C8-A6FA-54A1560D3FD7@icann.org>, Edward Lewis writ
es:
> #2.  Rule
> #
> #   When an iterative caching DNS resolver receives a response NXDOMAIN,
> #   it SHOULD store it in its cache and all names and RRsets at or below
> #   that node SHOULD then be considered to be unreachable.  Subsequent
> #   queries for such names SHOULD elicit an NXDOMAIN response.
> #
> #   But if a resolver has cached data under the NXDOMAIN cut, it MAY
> #   continue to send it as a reply (until the TTL of this cached data
> #   expires), since this may avoid additional processing when a query is
> #   received.  Section 6 provides more information about this.
>
> For consistency, the SHOULD's in the first paragraph ought to be MAY's.
> (Loically, it has to be.  If I treat it as SHOULD, I'd never discover
> data below that I MAY elect to return.)

No.  SHOULD is not MUST.  Every SHOULD has a implict UNLESS
<unspecified reason>.  In this case we actually have a reason for
the why the second and third SHOULD are not MUSTs.

I could turn first SHOULD into a MUST and still reach the MAY.

> As the authority server may change its version of a zone and the SOA
> (with serial) is not in every response, it's impossible (computationally
> undecidable) to know whether the answer with the NXDOMAIN was created
> before or after lower data.  Maybe the lower data is "currently correct"
> and the NXDOMAIN is stale-ish.  Or not.

Temporal issues are not new.  All DNS caches have them.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org