Re: [DNSOP] HSMs was Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc4641bis-01.txt

Olaf Kolkman <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl> Thu, 21 January 2010 11:42 UTC

From: Olaf Kolkman <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:41:50 +0100
To: dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] HSMs was Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc4641bis-01.txt

In trying to get a reasonable version 2 out of the door before Anaheim I am trying to identify and where possibly close open issues.

As a reminder: http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/svn/rfc4641bis/trunk/open-issues/ has the open issues listed and a per issue highlight of their history.

This thread, about the use of HSMs, is captured in http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/svn/rfc4641bis/trunk/open-issues/HSMs the content of that page is replicated below.

I believe I captured the gist of the discussion in a modified version of paragraph 3.6 (see below). The first two paragraphs are not modified, the text starting with "The ideal situation" has been.

I welcome editorial comments off-list.

If the chair believes the current text captures consensus I will move this issue to the closed issues list.

--Olaf

$Id: cryptography_flawed 14 2009-02-09 18:54:12Z olaf $
20100121
   The use of HSMs
   Shane Kerr/Ed Lewis
   Added: 21 jan 2010
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg07190.html
   and
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg07193.html

   The recommendation to use a HSM is far to strong. Arguments of fate sharing
   and operational overhead are being made on the list.