Re: [DNSOP] Call for Adoption: draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf

"John Levine" <johnl@taugh.com> Mon, 29 February 2016 18:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:07:56 -0000
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Cc: tjw.ietf@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Call for Adoption: draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf

>This starts a Call for Adoption for "DNS Scoped Data Through
>'_Underscore' Attribute Leaves"
>
>The draft is available here:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf/
>Please review this draft to see if you think it is suitable for adoption
>by DNSOP, and comments to the list, clearly stating your view.
>
>Please also indicate if you are willing to contribute text, review, etc.

This registry is long overdue (the -00 was written almost a decade
ago) but better late than never.  The draft is in OK shape but needs
some careful work to clarify how it relates to the service name and
number registry set up by RFC 6335.

Service names are, as far as I can tell, used extensively in the DNS,
but only as sub-names of protocol names for SRV, NAPRI, and URI
records, e.g., "sip" in:

   _sip._udp IN SRV 0 5060 host42

The service names in the current draft should come out, and it needs
language pointing to the service name registry for names used as
subnames of protocol names.

There is no registry of protocol names, and although it may be
somewhat painful to set one up at this late date, I think it would be
a good idea.  The names _tcp _udp _sctp are used as protocol names in
RFCs, maybe others.  IANA has a Protocol Numbers registry and it's not
clear to me whether we should add an optional name column to that
registry (optional because most of the protocols are dead and most of
the rest are not intended to carry multiple services) or a separate
registry of names of live protocols that are suitable for multiple
services.

None of this should be terribly hard.  I've discussed it with Dave and
believe that he generally agrees with the direction.  I'm happy to
rewrite, review, whatever.

R's,
John

PS: Speaking of rewriting, in the last paragraph of section 3, it
should say "right" where it says "left".