Re: [DNSOP] Call for agenda items for London

"Guangqing Deng" <dengguangqing@cnnic.cn> Fri, 14 February 2014 08:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:30:30 +0800
From: Guangqing Deng <dengguangqing@cnnic.cn>
To: Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Call for agenda items for London

 Hi, Tim, I would like to request a time slot of 15 minutes to discuss the topic on optimizing DNS authority server placement. As we know, the geographical distribution of DNS authority servers (include root, TLD and other authority servers in the DNS hierarchy) highly affects the financial costs (such as server, energy and bandwidth costs) from the DNS operator's point of view and also the DNS resolution latency from the DNS client's point of view. Let us consider the following question: when hundreds even thousands of potential deployment locations are given, which locations (may be several or tens of) should be selected to deploy DNS authority servers of a specific DNS zone (for instance, .CN) so that the DNS resolution delay is minimized while the financial costs do not exceed their budget? It is not easy to answer this question though fundamentally we think that those locations with low financial level and close proximity to DNS clients should be selected. To the best of our knowledge, there is still no rigorous authority server placement approach yet and thus most DNS operators just choose locations according to their personal experience.

Due to DNS attacks like DDOS attack, the deployment of DNSSEC as well as the launch of new gTLDs, more and more authority servers will be deployed and thus we think it makes sense to discuss this topic in DNSOP WG. On the following meeting, we would like to discuss use cases and two approaches proposed by us on this topic.

Any suggestions?

Look forward to see you soon in London!

Guangqing
Deng
CNNIC  From: Tim WicinskiDate: 2014-02-11 12:13To: dnsopSubject: [DNSOP] Call for agenda items for London

Greetings,

London is less than a month away, and we should start soliciting agenda
items.  I requsted a 2 hour session instead of the normally tight 1.5
hours, and they gave us Friday Morning for 2.5 hours.  I attempted to do
some horse trading with httpbis as they liked that slot, but nothing
quite worked.

We already have some time for the privacy drafts floating around,
especially discussing the requirements.  But feel free to email us with
suggestions, requests, etc.  As we did in Vancouver, we've been given
some latitude from our great and glorious AD to be more open in what we
accept.

thanks
tim