Re: [DNSOP] New draft for consideration:

bert hubert <bert.hubert@powerdns.com> Sun, 24 March 2019 10:18 UTC

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 11:18:05 +0100
From: bert hubert <bert.hubert@powerdns.com>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New draft for consideration:

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 06:42:53AM +0000, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> to the terminology problems, I am proposing a few abbreviations that
> people can use in these discussions.  The draft below, if adopted by the
> DNSOP WG, would update RFC 8499 with a small set of abbreviations.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for this, and I have understood the note that the draft is early
and the words will likely improve.

It may be good to add a note that "DoH is the protocol as defined in
[RFC8484]. The operation of this protocol by browser vendors and cloud
providers is frequently also called 'DoH'. DoH-the-protocol is
therefore frequently conflated with DoH being used to perform
DNS lookups in a different fashion than configured by the network settings
(see DaT and DaO)."

Secondly, I understand the technical need for the wording of the definition
of DaO.  But I had to read this all a few times before I understood that
'DaO' includes what I've referred to as DoC (DNS over Cloud). I think
definitions should be easy to understand because otherwise they don't
function.

I'm also not too hot for conflating "user consciously changes
/etc/resolv.conf or equivalent" with "application makes the choice for the
user".

Perhaps we should talk about 'Per-application stubs'? Because this is the
nub.

I'm willing to write text once we have discussed this a bit.

	Bert