Subject: [DNSOP] Protocol Action: 'Operational Guidelines for DNS Transport in Mixed IPv4/IPv6 Environments' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-dnsop-3901bis-17.txt)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: The IESG <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2026 10:22:51 -0800
List-Id: IETF DNSOP WG mailing list <dnsop.ietf.org>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Operational Guidelines for DNS Transport in Mixed IPv4/IPv6
   Environments'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-3901bis-17.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mahesh Jethanandani and Mohamed Boucadair.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-3901bis/

Technical Summary

   This document provides guidelines and documents Best Current Practice
   for operating authoritative DNS servers as well as recursive and stub
   DNS resolvers, given that queries and responses are carried in a
   mixed environment of IPv4 and IPv6 networks.  This document
   recommends that authoritative DNS servers as well as recursive DNS
   resolvers support both IPv4 and IPv6.  It furthermore provides
   guidance for how recursive DNS resolvers should select upstream DNS
   servers, if both native and IPv4-embedded IPv6 addresses are
   available.

   This document obsoletes RFC 3901.

Working Group Summary

   The WG consensus is strong.

   There  was discussion, not controversial, about avoiding fragmentation
   by using an encrypted DNS protocol, but it was resolved in a way that
   all parties in the discussion agreed with.

Document Quality

   This is a Best Current Practice document that provides guidance on the
   IPv6/IPv4 deployment on the usage of mixed IP in the DNS deployments.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Ondřej Surý.
   The Responsible Area Director is Mohamed Boucadair.