Re: [DNSOP] Review of draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc2845bis-02.txt

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Tue, 20 November 2018 22:29 UTC

From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:29:03 +1100
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
To: Mukund Sivaraman <muks@mukund.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Review of draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc2845bis-02.txt

> On 20 Nov 2018, at 12:45 am, Mukund Sivaraman <muks@mukund.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Stephen, Francis
>
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 04:56:50AM -0800, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
>>
>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>> This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.
>>
>>        Title           : Secret Key Transaction Authentication for DNS (TSIG)
>>        Authors         : Francis Dupont
>>                          Stephen Morris
>>                          Paul Vixie
>>                          Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
>>                          Olafur Gudmundsson
>>                          Brian Wellington
>> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc2845bis-02.txt
>> 	Pages           : 26
>> 	Date            : 2018-11-19
>
> First, I want to point out that this is a bis document and not errata,
> so it need not (and should not) be limited to just fixing the TSIG
> authenication bypass attack. I strongly feel that RFC 2845 is unclearly
> specified, and TSIG (the protocol) is over-specified. This bis revision
> should make amends.
>
> Two points that I request this WG to discuss are:
>
> 1. Sparsely TSIG signed TCP continuation messages (section 6.4 in draft)

I would accept not generating sparsely TSIG signed TCP continuation messages
(except for test code) immediately.  It will take many years before one could
remove the validation side as you need to ensure that all you current peers
don’t generate that style of stream.  Time of publication +10 years if you
want to remove the validation side.  By that time there should be very few
legacy peers.

Add a bit about logging when STSTCM is seen on a connection so it becomes
noisy.  Include the cut off date.  This logging will unfortunately be on
the wrong end of the connection but will give some indication of the expected
breakage.  Start logging at publication date +8 years so the noise is around
the breakage time and not immediately.

> 2. Truncated MACs
>
> I feel both should be obsoleted now to reduce implementation complexity
> and scope for errors causing authentication bypass. I have talked about
> these on this list before, but won't restate comments in support here to
> prejudice discussion.

This is more complicated.  Removing code support will break existing
configurations that are using truncated hashes.  This would require
deciding a cut off date (publication +10 years), logging when used
including the cut off date.  This is basically human to human rather
than machine to machine.  Code gets updated.  Humans don’t.