[DNSOP] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-13: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 29 August 2018 04:17 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis@ietf.org, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldwide@gmail.com>, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, suzworldwide@gmail.com, dnsop@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 21:17:39 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-13: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-13: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis/

COMMENT:

Many thanks to the authors for making what I expected to be a dry terminology
document into an adventure of discovery.

I agree with Mirja's assessment about whether this really updates 2308. I also
agree with Alvaro's wish to rethink the BCP status (including his
disinclination to stand in the way of publication this far into the process.)

§2"
- Definition of "Domain Name": I don't profess to be a naming expert, but this
definition doesn't seem very satisfying.  It potentially defines things that I
wouldn't consider domain names. Is there no representation, intent, or other
context that distinguishes an ordered list of labels that is a domain name from
your garden variety ordered lists of labels? (or is the point of this that they
cannot be distinguished?)

- Definition of IDN: 'The current standard, normally called "IDNA2008"...'
That may not age well. I suggest  something to the effect of "The current
standard at the time of this writing, ..."