Re: [DNSOP] The DNSOP WG has placed draft-ogud-dnsop-maintain-ds in state "Candidate for WG Adoption"

Jacques Latour <jacques.latour@cira.ca> Tue, 17 November 2015 18:31 UTC

From: Jacques Latour <jacques.latour@cira.ca>
To: Jan Včelák <jan.vcelak@nic.cz>, Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>, Shane Kerr <shane@time-travellers.org>, Tongfeng Zhang <tongfeng.zhang@cira.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 18:31:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.16.4.84]
Cc: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] The DNSOP WG has placed draft-ogud-dnsop-maintain-ds in state "Candidate for WG Adoption"

Jan, this is exactly where we started and ended up where we are today;

We originally started looking at a trust dance with secret keys and out of band key exchange, it's not what we were looking for since we're trying to avoid any out of band exchange. However, the outcome of this process would prove the DNS operator is in control of the child zone, here I'm not sure we need to trust that the DNS operator is in control of the child zone, we need to prove DNS Operator control, not trust.

* When a registrant submits a DS record via RRR/EPP to the registry, we (registry) trust the registrant to submit a DS, we have no proof it's the right/correct DS. (compromised registrant credentials, bad cut and paste)

Then we looked at simpler trust/proof dances with/without challenge token as TXT record " _delegate DNSKEY ID ChallengeToken", again, this proves the DNS operator is in control of the child zone, and that it proved it interacted with the parent to get the challenge token. We also looked at having just an initial CDS record instead of a TXT record as a proof of control.

For the initial bootstrap, we don't need to prove the registrant controls the child, we need to prove the DNS Operator controls the zone.   The trust was established during the domain registration process, and subsequently the registrant delegated operation of the zone to the DNS Operator.

Something like that, we'll have flexibility on the method to prove control (API) to meet the parents' requirements.

Jack