Should a nameserver know about itself?

Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net> Wed, 09 May 2001 06:58 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 16:33:11 +1000
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
To: dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Should a nameserver know about itself?
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se

For those that aren't familar with our DNS operations, we manage in an
automated fashion the reverse delegations for the Asia Pacific Region.

We've assumed (in writing one of our automated delegation tests) that a
given nameserver is 'responding' if it knows about itself, ie, can supply,
when queried, an A/AAAA/A6 record and/or a PTR record for its own name/IP
address.

Unfortunately, we're running into a number of delegations that are failing
as the given nameservers fail both of the above tests, ie, the given
nameserver cannot supply any information about itself.

Is the assumption that a nameserver should have information about itself
correct?

--
  Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>                +61-7-3367-0490
                      Systems Administrator                          APNIC