Re: [DNSOP] draft-liman-tld-names-04

Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us> Mon, 22 November 2010 03:52 UTC

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:53:38 -0800
From: Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Cc: IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@ietf.org>, Joe Abley <jabley@hopcount.ca>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-liman-tld-names-04

On 11/17/2010 01:19, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
| On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:42:24PM -0500,
|   Joe Abley<jabley@hopcount.ca>  wrote
|   a message of 15 lines which said:
|
|> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-liman-tld-names-04.txt
|>
|> is the latest iteration of an effort started quite some time ago to
|> clarify the somewhat vague inference in RFC 1123 and create a more
|> precise specification for the syntax of TLD labels in the DNS.
|
| Nice attempt but, as I have already said
| <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg07058.html>,
| there is zero technical reason to limit the TLD to alphabetic
| characters and therefore, the rule:
|
| traditional-tld-label = 1*63(ALPHA)
|
| is both a new rule (it was not in RFC 1034 or 1035) and a bad one.
|
| I object to the creation of new rules disguised as clarifications.

Fully agree with Stephane on this. That bit needs to be changed to the
ABNF equivalent of the same LDH rules we use for hostnames. I've also
attached a diff with some related edits. More importantly it's worth
correcting the IANA section to make it clear that the IANA does not
create policy.

To amplify my agreement with Stephane, we have already added LDH labels
to the top level, and the sky did not fall. Therefore the only valid
clarification from a _technical_ perspective is that the aside in 1123
was never a protocol restriction. Anything else is layer 9, and
specifically not our problem.

I also agree with Stephane and Andrew that there are poorly written
programs in the world that will have problems with TLD names that start
with a non-alphabetic. We already lived through the drama that new TLDs
caused 10 years ago (been there, done that), and I agree with Stephane
that whatever drama ensues from a TLD that starts with a digit is
unlikely to cause the network to melt down tomorrow.

Doug

- --

			-- OK Go