Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner@nic-naa.net> Mon, 09 June 2008 17:47 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:35:53 -0700
From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner@nic-naa.net>
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

Gervase,

The Dan Jay (and later) cookie policy drafts had a dsig in the payload
so that the data collection policy (DCP) asserted in a cookie could be
verified. The xml dsig draft wasn't ready, so we took off that part of
the payload, leaving only the DCP. At the W3C P3P Spec WG meeting in San
Jose a _large_ vendor agreed to implement what had been protoyped in
Mozilla, replacing a no-3rd-party-cookies policy (there's reasonable
policy claims on both sides of that) with parse-the-policy-user-decide
policy (again, there's reasonable ...).

It's not unreasonable to revisit how we know an assertion about a DCP is
true, or provably false, as xml dsig is now mature.

Turning to the list it self, I'm working on proposals (to ICANN) for new
generic TLDs with string lengths greater than four bytes, and the latest
estimate (by ICANN staff) is that they anticipate between 300 and 600
applications in 2009, zero or more of which may be operationalized in
2010. Additionally, a subset of the existing iso3166 code-point
associated registries may elect to apply to add non-ASCII (well,
technically, ACE junk) labels to the root.

My point here is that two of the safe assumptions (byte count < mumble &
( sizeof(rootzone) & compositionof(rootzone) ) are quasi-static) has a
two-year or less shelf-life remaining.

It isn't unreasonable to expect registry operators under contract (to
ICANN) to publish SLD data directly, so you (and others) don't have to
wikipedia (not that wikipedia isn't generally a better source of data),
and you'd probably want that in From dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Mon Jun  9 10:47:46 2008
[...]

and you'd probably want that in mamachine readable form, with an update
mechanism, and it might be useful if that request got incorporated into
the process I mentioned above before it "goes live".

The PROVREG WG added a DCP into EPP, however, the intended scope was
simply to announce the DCP of registry operators to registrars, who may
then communicate the registry's DCP, and their own, towards the eventual
registrant. We didn't provide a mechanism for registrants to announce
the DCPs that they would be implementing from the resources they
obtained by registering domains, or a mechanism for registries to
announce DCPs scoped to a particular namespace.

FYI, the elephant in the room for P3P is we didn't provide a means to
assert linkage to data collected by other means, so data collectors
don't have a means to announce if they do, or don't, link cookie data
with credit-report data obtained by other means.

We did, over the objections of one of the major deterministic personal
profile vendors, now owned by a _large_ search engine operator, make
linked data disclosure manditory through the include/exclude statements.

Eric