Re: [DNSOP] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-yao-dnsop-root-cache-00.txt

Shane Kerr <shane@time-travellers.org> Tue, 29 September 2015 09:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 09:20:49 +0000
From: Shane Kerr <shane@time-travellers.org>
To: Jiankang Yao <yaojk@cnnic.cn>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-yao-dnsop-root-cache-00.txt

Jiankang Yao,

I think a simpler approach that works in general is the "HAMMER"
approach proposed by Warren Kumari, Roy Arends, and Suzanne Woolf a
couple of years ago:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-hammer

Basically the idea is that if a query is made for a RRSET that is near
expiration from the cache, then the resolver will answer normally but
will also try to refresh the TTL by performing another query.

Note that Unbound already implements something like this today, with
the "prefetch" option:

https://unbound.net/documentation/unbound.conf.html

BIND 9 does as well, with "prefetch":

https://deepthought.isc.org/article/AA-01122/0/Early-refresh-of-cache

The "HAMMER" approach works for all domains, not just the root zone,
and doesn't require any separate cache, or indeed any additional state
at all.

The approach you propose will have some small advantage if someone
queries for an entry in the root zone that is not in cache. However
given the long TTL of root zone entries, such a query will be rare so
the benefit is quite small.

Cheers,

--
Shane