Re: [DNSOP] [Doh] New I-D: draft-reid-doh-operator

Michael Sinatra <michael@brokendns.net> Tue, 12 March 2019 21:53 UTC

To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>, DoH WG <doh@ietf.org>
From: Michael Sinatra <michael@brokendns.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 14:52:50 -0700
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [Doh] New I-D: draft-reid-doh-operator

I realize you're responding to Paul, but your message below did pique
(in a good way) my thinking and the distinction in my mind, as an
operator, between DoH and DoT (and other forms of encrypted
communication).  I am top-posting intentionally because I am responding
to your entire message.

I support TLS 1.3 as written.  I support DoT.  I support DNSSEC,
HTTPS-everywhere, HSTS, etc.  I am a big fan of confidentiality and
privacy.  DoT gives us that.  DoH does too, but it also gives us
protocol obfuscation, and that makes me uneasy as an operator.  I
understand that in certain environments, this is seen as a good thing,
but I can also imagine a number of environments where this approach will
create considerable collateral damage and greatly hamper efforts at risk
mitigation.  Put differently, if we try to work around what our CISO is
legitimately trying to do, they will come out with bigger and more
expensive ban-hammers[1], and that will potentially lead to an arms race
of more workarounds and even bigger ban-hammers.

I think DoT makes a good compromise between confidentiality and protocol
transparency.  DoH does not because it intentionally works against
protocol transparency.  Again, that's what makes me uneasy and why I
support the efforts behind the various internet-drafts that we're
discussing here.

michael

[1] As an example, I am personally and practically opposed to inline TLS
decryption in most enterprises.  DoH gives further ammo for security
folks to insist on inline TLS decryption, IMO.  DoT, not as much, since
the protocol can be easily identified on the wire and any necessary
actions taken.  Manipulating DoT transactions is a far cry from
manipulating/decrypting all TLS...