[DNSOP] Alvaro Retana's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: (with DISCUSS)

"Alvaro Retana" <aretana@cisco.com> Wed, 06 January 2016 16:43 UTC

From: Alvaro Retana <aretana@cisco.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 08:43:23 -0800
Cc: tjw.ietf@gmail.com, dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [DNSOP] Alvaro Retana's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: (with DISCUSS)

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis/

DISCUSS:

I don’t have concerns over the technical content of this document, but I
do have want to raise a process-related DISCUSS.

The Intended RFC Status of this document is “Internet Standard”, which
seems like a logical progression from RFC5966 (Proposed Standard).
However, I am concerned that the proper process was not followed:

1. RFC6410 calls for “an IETF-wide Last Call of at least four weeks”, but
the LS started on Nov/23 and ended on Dec/7, 2 weeks.

2. In looking at the archives I couldn’t find any discussion about
changing the maturity level.

3. It also concerns me that the changes go beyond a simple revision of
the old text.  For example, there are recommendations that are completely
new and for topics that were not even mentioned in the original (e.g.
pipelining).

I may have missed the discussions in the archive.  Not being a DNS expert
I may also be overestimating the changes to this document. But knowing
that the “document was actively discussed and reviewed” and that it “had
a broad discussion as the wording of several points were more accurately
described” (from the Shepherd’s write up), I think that this document may
not be ready to be an Internet Standard.

The obvious solution to this DISCUSS is to change the intended status to
Proposed Standard.