[DNSOP] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: (with DISCUSS)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 07 January 2016 00:09 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 16:09:18 -0800
Cc: tjw.ietf@gmail.com, dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [DNSOP] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: (with DISCUSS)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis/

DISCUSS:

Don't we need text warning that TFO is likely problematic
with DNS privacy and that attacks that try to prepend
information (via TFO) to otherwise secured sessions could
occur? While that might sound a bit far-fetched we have
seen exactly that kind of issue with HTTPS that had
practical impact on Webdav. (The TLS renego and then
triple handshake attacks.) So while using TFO may not
enable a slam-dunk CVE level 10 attack, I think you do
need to consider and talk about it. (Or maybe you did and
figured out no attack can work, but then I'd guess you'd
be so happy, you'd say that too:-)

I'm not sure how this'd best be resolved, but one thing
might be to talk to the folks thinking about TCPINC as
they have at least hit this as a potential issue for
tcpcrypt and for tcp-use-tls.

Otherwise, this is a fine document on which I'll ballot
yes when the above is sorted.