Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-02.txt

"John Dickinson" <jad@sinodun.com> Thu, 16 February 2017 12:54 UTC

From: John Dickinson <jad@sinodun.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:54:50 +0000
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-02.txt

Hi,

I originally wrote these notes against the -00 version. -02 is much improved
and many of my notes have gone away. However, there are a couple of minor
things I think could be tweaked….

§1
"...When reading this document, care must
   be taken to not assume that the term Domain Name implies the
   particular protocol for resolving these names, the Domain Name System
   [RFC1034]. ..."

parses badly. Do you mean

"...When reading this document, care must
   be taken to not assume that the term Domain Name implies the use of the
   Domain Name System [RFC1034] for resolving these names. ..."?

§3
Wording of some points after
"Organizations do in fact sometimes commandeer subsets of the
      namespace.  Reasons a third party might do this include:"
could be improved. e.g.
s/Intended use is covered by gTLD process, don't want to pay fee/Intended use is
covered by gTLD process but the third party don't want to pay a fee/

"When a special-use Domain Name is added ..." emphasise that most software may
never get updated.

s/Assertion of authority: there is a sense that the namespace/
Assertion of authority: there is a sense that the TLD portion of the namespace/

s/If there is an IETF process through which a name can be
         assigned at zero cost other than time, this process will be
         used as an alternative to purchasing the name through ICANN./
         If there is an IETF process through which a TLD can be
         assigned at zero cost other than time, this process will be
         used as an alternative to more costly approach of getting the TLDN
         registered through ICANN./

Additional problem: The availability of special use names may encourage protocol
designers to design "bad" protocols.

Originally, I kind of felt that the document may flow better if §4 were before
§3 but since the -01 and -02 changes I am not as bothered as I was.

regards
John