Re: [DNSOP] Call for Adoption: draft-belyavskiy-rfc5933-bis

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@isc.org> Tue, 16 June 2020 07:52 UTC

From: Ondřej Surý <ondrej@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 09:52:45 +0200
Cc: Tim WIcinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com>, dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>, dnsop-chairs <dnsop-chairs@ietf.org>
To: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Call for Adoption: draft-belyavskiy-rfc5933-bis

Hi,

I do not hold as strong position as Olafur here, but I concur that the document
needs much better rationale. There’s no rationale for adopting the new GOST
algorithm at the moment and I would especially like to hear why GOST 2012
should be standardized and EC-KCDSA (Korean) and ECGDSA (German)
should not.

I specifically think that we should only standardize algorithms recommended
by cfrg such as RFC 7748 or RFC 8439 (just example, not applicable).

I consider the previous GOST standardization for DNSSEC to be a fiasco.

I would also ask the WG to require a implementation report before we send
this to WGLC. The support for GOST family of algorithms varies between
the various crypto libraries. I found it problematic for the DNS vendors that
OpenSSL supports the algs only in form of OpenSSL engine, and that said
engine had last release in 2018. The project activity looks fine, but issues
like this[1] don’t exactly fill me with trust, but at least there’s an active maintainer
for the project.

As of the adoption - I am indifferent, the things I mentioned could be done
with or without WG adopting the document, but I think that the document
should not become a RFC (not even Informational) before the items I
mentioned are cleared.

1. https://github.com/gost-engine/engine/issues/91

Ondrej
--