Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-02.txt

"libor.peltan" <libor.peltan@nic.cz> Wed, 30 December 2020 09:39 UTC

To: Ben Schwartz <bemasc=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
From: "libor.peltan" <libor.peltan@nic.cz>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:39:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-02.txt

Hi Ben, all,
i'd like to ask for some clarification of expected Authoritative server
behaviour around Alias SVCB records:

1) when there are multiple Alias SVCB records for an owner name, should
the Authoritative server put targeted records into Additionals for all
of them, or just pick one?
(Section 4.1 says "authoritative DNS servers SHOULD return A, AAAA, and
SVCB records in the Additional Section for any in-bailiwick
TargetNames", but section 2.4.2 will render it useless with "If multiple
are present, clients or recursive resolvers SHOULD pick one at random."
Which means, half (or most) of the additionals will get thrown away.)

2) When the TargetName points to an in-bailiwick CNAME, should the
autoritative server populate the CNAME chain inside the Additional
section? It seems to me (fortunately :) ), that following such CNAME is
only required for Recursive resolvers, however e.g. this zone will thus
need three upstream queries to fetch it all:
foo 3600 IN SVCB 0 bar
bar 3600 IN CNAME baz
baz 3600 IN SVCB 0 . alpn=...
baz 3600 IN AAAA 1::2

Thanks for your answers,
Libor

PS: is this e-mail thread the right place to ask for details
clarification around SVCB features?