Re: [DNSOP] [apps-discuss] Draft of interest in DNSOP: draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf

"John Levine" <johnl@taugh.com> Mon, 29 August 2016 01:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 01:42:00 -0000
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Cc: dcrocker@bbiw.net
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [apps-discuss] Draft of interest in DNSOP: draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf

>> So after going through all that and then looking at RFC 6335, including
>> its assorted references to support for SRV, I gather the IANA table in
>> question is:
>>
>>    Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry
>
>And the draft -attrleaf- needs to point to this, I believe.

So far, so good.

>>> For URI records RFC 7553 says they're either named the same as SRV
>>> records, or they use enumservice names from the Enumservice
>>
>> Declaring a namespace as the union of two, independently-maintained
>> registries is a very efficient way to encourage -- actually in
>> theoretical terms, it guarantees -- collisions.
>
>Patrik's and John 's postings notwithstanding, I'm still concerned about
>the proposed way of handling this, namely to rely on IANA to do a manual
>check of the two registries the URI RR might call on.  First, it does
>not seem reasonable to me to impose that burden on the IANA staff and
>second a manual process like that is almost certain to produce errors.

Well, either you can persuade Patrik and Olaf to revise RFC 7553 to
add a _enumservice psedudo-transport to disambiguate, or you can't.
When I look at the enumservice registry, I see that it's not very big
and doesn't change very often.

Rather than speculating about how hard this would be for IANA, why
don't you ask them.  Do they have any other groups of registries that
they have to monitor for name collisions?  How much harder is that
than the checking they have to do in a large registry like ports and
services to be sure they don't reuse a name?

R's,
John